Let’s take you to the Antwerp whale cemetery! Meet volunteer Jef, who is excavating the fourth whale, and Mark, paleontologist-by-experience!
All finds in the AZ Monica construction site in Deurne, each about 8 to 9 million years old:
- 5 whales (of which 2 fairly complete)
- 2 very partial dolphins (beaked whales)
- different shark teeth (but few in number), fish teeth and vertebrae, a sunfish bone
- a skin plate of a leatherback turtle
- a bird bone
- and many shells and brachiopods, tube worms, tiny sea urchins, barnacles, moss animals, foraminifers, and pieces of wood.